Since sending our most recent proposal to a fair contract yesterday evening, our elected bargaining committee has yet to receive a response addressing our core demands for equity at Mount Sinai. We will therefore be on strike today at 9am. Find more details on our strike and picket below.
We have always seen our campaign for a union and a fair contract as a fight for our profession, for the ability of all people to work, thrive, and remain in academia, regardless of background and personal circumstance. While we would have preferred to continue making all efforts to reach a fair agreement tonight, Sinai has chosen not to do the same.
9am – Strike and Picket Line Begins
- Check in outside of the ICAHN building (99th & Madison) and sign into the picket line with a strike captain, who will direct you to one of our picket or delivery stoppage locations.
- Wear your lab coat and blue union t-shirt – as well as plenty of warm clothes (hats, a scarf, gloves, winter boots)!!
- We are aware that Sinai has circulated a form asking for information on postdocs working schedules. This is a unilateral change to working conditions – we have issued a demand to Sinai to cease this requirement and bargain over the change. Please reach out to us if you are asked to fill out this form.
- Bring any noisemakers you have – whistles, instruments, pots & pans!
- Turn on Automatic replies to say “I am currently on an Unfair Labor Practice strike with our union SPOC-UAW against Mount Sinai. Postdocs at Sinai will be on strike and withholding our labor until Sinai rectifies their unlawful conduct so that we can reach a fair contract.”
10am – Rally To Kick Off Our Strike!!
- Invite your family, friends, and community members!
- Community supporters and unionized workers from around the city will join us in solidarity.
- Strike Benefits: A UAW Strike Department worker will be at the picket line to sign strikers up for strike pay and strike benefits.
- Solidarity Pledge: Ask your coworkers who are not postdocs to sign the solidarity pledge to respect our picket lines.
- Fundraising: Share our pledge to contribute to our strike fund which will support postdocs financially burdened by striking.
- Let your PI know why you are striking and ask them to urge the Sinai administration to reach a fair agreement.
- Strike FAQ: See our Frequently Asked Questions for more information about the strike. Please reach out to organizing@sinaipostdocunion.
org with any questions or concerns
- Bargaining Info: Proposals, updates, and more are available on our website, sinaipostdocunion.org
Please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions about our strike or how you can participate in efforts to win a strong first contract at Mount Sinai.
SPOC-UAW Organizing Committee