Hundreds of postdocs showed up today for Day 1 of our Unfair Labor Practice Strike! Our day began with speeches from postdocs at Sinai and Columbia, a Sinai student worker, and the UAW Region 9A director, and continued with vibrant picket lines all day.
We have not yet heard from Sinai regarding another bargaining session. It is not disappointing, but not surprising that Sinai is moving slowly. The more of us who participate in our strike in the coming days, the stronger the message we can send to Mount Sinai that they should rectify their unlawful conduct, return to the bargaining table, and stop delaying a fair and equitable contract. Tomorrow, we will return to the picket line and continue to halt research at Sinai.
Let’s keep the pressure on Sinai with high participation at tomorrow’s events:
- 9 am: Day 2 picketing start. Check in outside of ANNENBERG (1468 Madison) and sign into the picket line with a strike captain, who will direct you to one of our picket or delivery stoppage locations. Bring any noisemakers you have – whistles, instruments, pots & pans!
- 10am: Elected Allies Rally with elected allies including NYC Comptroller Brad Lander, City Council Member Tiffany Caban, and Ana Maria Archila and Jasmine Gripper, the co-chairs of the Working Families Party
- 2pm: Postdocs across New York City are invited to join our picket line
- 4pm: Peak Power Picket
You may have been asked to fill out a form to attest to working today. The union’s position is that Sinai requiring this form is illegitimate and illegal, and represents a unilateral change to working conditions which must be bargained over. If your PI asks you to do so, you can let them know that Sinai should bargain over the form, and ask them why you are being asked to complete the form.
Let’s keep our strike strong! Please help by:
- Signing up for a delivery stoppage shift to maintain 24/7 coverage at Sinai delivery sites and disrupt research operations.
- Do you have a hobby or talent to share with others, like yoga, Zumba, or playing music? Reply to let us know if you can lead a short event to keep our picket line active and engaged!
- Volunteering for a strike committee to help organize picket lines, community solidarity events, and fundraising.
Let’s bring even more energy tomorrow, and until Sinai stops its unlawful behavior and starts negotiating in good faith. See you on the picket line!