June 15, 2002
- UPDATED Union Election Dates: Wednesday, 6/22 and Thursday, 6/23.
- RSVP for our 4th informational town hall this Thursday, 6/16.
- RSVP for our 5th (virtual) town hall this Friday, 6/17.
- Updates on the growing national movement of academic workers in the US.
The NLRB has sent updated election dates, due to a graduation ceremony scheduled near the voting location this coming Tuesday. The event was scheduled over two months ago. The Sinai administration and members of the SPOC-UAW organizing committee agreed to shift the election timeline back by one day in order to use the same location, which was chosen for access purposes. Our union election will now be in-person on:
- Wednesday, June 22nd (9am-1pm and 2pm-6pm)
- Thursday, June 23rd (10am-2pm and 3pm-7pm)
- At the Patricia and Robert Levinson Student Center.
We will hold a fourth informational town hall on Thursday, June 16 at 5pm in Annenberg Room A5-205 (5th floor) and another over zoom on Friday, June 17 at 12pm (noon). Join us to meet with other Postdocs, hear from unionized researchers at other institutions, and get answers to any questions you may have about our election or forming a union for postdocs at Mount Sinai.
- Let us know if you can make it to the in-person town hall on June 16th.
- Click here to register for our virtual town hall on June 17th.
In the past week we’ve also seen some exciting updates on the wave of academic workers forming unions here in NYC and across the country:
- On Wednesday, we learned that ~1,500 Research Scientists at the University of Washington voted by 85% to form their union and plan to join UAW Local 4121. Read more here.
- On Thursday, the New York City Postdoc Coalition (NYCPC) put out a statement supporting the right of postdocs to unionize.
- On Friday, UAW Local 5810 at the University of California, representing 7,000 unionized postdocs, issued a resolution supporting us and commenting on the importance of international researchers in their union.
- And just yesterday, Crain’s New York published an article on our union campaign. Here’s the full article, and a quote: “If Mount Sinai’s postdocs succeed in unionizing, they will follow in the footsteps of their Columbia University peers, who voted in 2018 to unionize with the UAW—becoming the nation’s first postdoc union at a private university. They secured their first contract in 2020.”
Let us know if you have any questions or thoughts,